Thursday 12 December 2013

A Ton of Bricks

A road to no where. Travel will widen your eyes and your mind
Even after a few months in Korea I was still baffeled daily. By things i'd see, hear or situations I would find myself in, I suppose just life in general here in Korea. Writing blog spots wasn't something I had to think about too much (as i'm sure you could tell by reading them) as there was so much going on every day but slowly things became the norm. I saw one of my friends mentioning she had writers block and I realised I have been suffering from this too, not because i've been wraking my brain trying to think of what to type but because crazy situations aren't as commen to me now. I don't see something and think to myself 'I must write about this' as often as I use to. I was thinking about all of this while walking home today. I'd just come from a medical test in Sangin, an area about half hour by bus. I dealt with people that spoke no English, met some interesting characters, saw some beautiful scenery.

As I jumped off the bus I headed into my local CU (a seven eleven kind of connvieniece store) and got myself a 50p coffee and some kimbap. I filled the cup up in the shop and as I left I looked up to thank the man working in the store and we bowed to each other. It was at that moment that it hit me like a ton of bricks. 'I live in Korea'. This was a thought i'd have about 10 times a day when I first arrived and even a few months ago I'd be reciting this to myself at least once a week but now life just moves and things just happen. I speak broken Korean, enough to understand what people are talking about and asking me, I read hangul and I bow about 20 times a day. It was just a clean, crisp thought that revealled the abnormality that this is normal.

I have been in Korea for almost 10 months now and I am signing up for another year. I have lived past the honeymoon stage and even the hating everything stage until I have arrived at the point I am at now. Home.

Life here is still fantastic and i'm aware of that but it's nice to have that ton of bricks hit you from time to time to remind yourself that fantastic is now my normal. So I will leave you now to head out into the freezing Korean air to go and watch 'The Hobbit' with Korean subtitles while people around me eat onion popcorn and fried squid. I'll be watching the movie with people from all corners of the world and the weirdest element of all of this is, it won't be weird at all.

Have a good week everyone

No comments:

Post a Comment