Wednesday 11 May 2016

Wedding Dress Cafes - The Ultimate Dress Up

header There have been many things I’ve tried while I’ve been in Korea that have been out of the ordinary….and then there is the wedding dress café.I had heard the legends of this place but nothing had prepared me for the insanity that was inside.
wedding10 The concept is simple enough. Turn up with your friends (or boyfriend as is the popular Korean way) , rifle through the magazine and choose your gown. Luckily there isn’t just wedding gowns but also kimonos, Hanboks and short short SHORT dresses for the adventurous among you. The three of my friends went for very classic styles and I went for the puffiest purple number I could find.
wedding6 wedding7 wedding9 You pay a 5,000 won fee to be in the café and there is self service coffee and tea. Each dress has a different price attached to it and the price is for half hour rental.
We went at the end of the day so it was nice and quiet.
When the lady directed us to the hair and make up table we scoffed, we didn’t bring accessories or want to adjust our make up but ohhh how wrong we were. The hair and make up table had everything from gel to hot rollers. There is also a fantastic array of fancy dress hats, masks and mustaches to make your look effortlessly 80’s. There are even a few white stiletto hooker shoes to class up your gown.
wedding8 The lady was really helpful and lovely and even took a load of photos for us.
It was an insane day and I did have to catch my breath a few times at just how down right pretty the girls looked. To say we took it serious though would be the fattest lie I’ve ever told. There was no stop laughter and a variety of poses.
wedding1 wedding2 wedding4 wedding5 My cheeks hurt at the end of our half hour.
It is definitely something I wish I’d been able to do with friends that have visited and people that left Korea. I am already planning future trips. Lee is off the hook though as this is definitely something I would rather keep between the girls.
It is the ultimate dress up and just a bit of fun. I loved playing bridesmaid and the girls were willing victims for my constant shouts for different poses.

wedding12 wedding13 wedding17 wedding24 After two years in Korea it is still the most bizarre thing I’ve seen since the toilet restaurant in Taiwan so I can only image how crazy it is to anyone not in Asia.
wedding19 wedding18 wedding22 But mark my words, it is the current trend to open cat cafes but in the next five years we will all be playing dress up with our lattes.
wedding26 wedding27 wedding30 wedding35 wedding39 wedding41 wedding43
How to get there:
If you are stood looking at the stage in down town Daegu, turn right and walk straight. You will walk straight past a Lotteria on your right and a few 100 yards further you will also walk past a surf/summer clothes shop on your right. From the stage it is about a 10 minute straight walk.  It is located on the 2nd floor and you will see pictures of westerners in hanboks and Koreans in wedding dresses on the 2nd floor windows.
-Phone number: 053-254-3319
-Name: 드레스향( Dresshyang )
-Address: 2nd floor 59-2 Gongpyeongdong, Jung Gu, Daegu
Would you consider going? Would you want a traditional kimono or Hanbok instead? How about the 80’s prom look? Can you imagine this being in your city? Let us know what you think. signature

No comments:

Post a Comment