Thursday 27 June 2013

Discovery of the week: Mosquitos




This week has been the hottest by far. The heat in Daegu is starting to reveal itself. Long gone is the dry sunshine that I as a Brit associate with the 3 days of summer we get in the UK. In its place we have been treated to the hot, humid, wet Daegu that Ive read so much about.
This isnt the end of the world as Daegu has fans and AC units everywhere but its definitely a learning curve. I still prefer it to the cold but Im interested to see what Monsoon season will be like. I might have to invest in some summer wellies.

However with the damp heat there comes one annoying menace. Bugs!
I lived in Saudi Arabia for a little while as a child and I have experienced mosquitoes but nothing like this. No matter what repellent I apply they still feast on me.
I have extremely sensitive skin, you tickle me and you will get a boot in the face (involuntary of course) so when I get bitten it is unbearable for about two weeks. I still have bite marks right now from a month and a half ago. The other interesting aspect of these bugs is they choose odd places to bit you. The knuckles, toe and eye lid have been the interesting additions this week.
At the moment I am in a battle with myself. I have no air con in the bedroom and one window. Unfortunately this one window is the only window without a mosquito net. Every night I am forced to decided on cool air so I can sleep but bite ridden limbs or one or two bites but unbearable heat. Its still not a awful problem to have. Its still better than the problems I faced in Britain so I shouldnt moan but I have declared war on these insects and by Jove, I will win!


No comments:

Post a Comment