Wednesday 25 September 2013

Discovery of the week: Pain threshold.


This week I have been tested to my limits. Although Korean culture dictates you should never miss a day off school this doesnt mean you dont run into illness from time to time.
I have had a few times that my bed was a hundred times more appealing than the classroom but Ive persevered (mainly because the school nurse lets you sleep in a bed in-between your classes) but today I faced a new hurdle.
Frozen shoulder!
Ive had this occur a few times over the years and it may be one of the least pleasant experiences of my life. If you havent had shoulder/neck pain you are a lucky individual as I wouldnt wish it on my worst enemy. My neck and back tighten to the point that any movement feels like a thousand tiny ninjas are attacking, not to be too dramatic or anything.
This normally isnt too much of a problem since in the past Ive worked in an office where I can sit very still and have a spinney chair (although this did make me seem like some kind of Bond villain). Normally if Im completely incapacitated I can stay home but in Korea thats not an option so today I had to teach 4 lessons without any use of my upper body.
There was a lot of pen dropping; funny looks and luckily a slight amount of sympathy from my 3rd graders (no such luck with my 2nd grade class who thought it was hilarious to throw things at me) ...the classiest moment of my life came when I had to take a bin to the library to be sick from the pain. Thats true ladylike tendencies for you!
One lovely student told me that it was like a robot was teaching them! I love my students, always looking on the bright side.
It was a challenge to teach (and turn and write) but its 50% of the way through the day and I can see the light at the end of the tunnel with just 2 more classes to go.
The nurse has given me some pain killers which dulled the pain so Im hoping to add a few degrees of movement into my next class but my poor student have to put up with C3P0 teacher for the day.
Screw you pain.lets do this!

No comments:

Post a Comment