Tuesday 20 August 2013

Dinner at the Korean family home


When Lee told me he had been invited to his co teachers home for dinner and I was also invited I was beyond happy.
I really wanted to visit a Korean familys home since arriving here and I was not disappointed. We were picked up in the car by his teacher as well as her adorable children. A 5 year old boy and a 3 year old girl. When I say they were cute it really doesnt do them justice. They melted my heart.
They were so smart. The little boy could name every dinosaur. He had a book of 130 and no matter which one you showed him while hiding the name he knew what it was. Thats a special skill.
The little girl was amazed by our English ways and kept telling me things in English to impress me. Unfortunately my Korean was a little less than hers so she taught me the basics. Being taught to count by a 3 year old actually helped me more than the Korean teachers I have.
Another 2 of Lees teachers turned up, all of which had very good English considering they arent English teachers. We chatted the night away while eating fantastic food cooked by our host and laughing a lot at the kids entertainment.
Paper dinosaur collection

Practice chopsticks...Lee needs these

Our lovely dinner

The house was beautiful and Im glad we brought along a gift. We werent sure of the Korean custom but guessed a gift was appropriate. The gifts people give here always amuse me. Toilet paper, noodles and spam are just a few of the usuals.
We gave some English tea we had bought on holiday while the other guests brought a bulk box of toilet roll and grapes (which weirdly they peel or suck out the middle of in Korean?!)

The night was what Id hoped for and I really hope we get a chance to visit another familys home.

No comments:

Post a Comment