Thursday 15 August 2013

Discovery of the week: Elementary school students.



Discovery of the week: Elementary school students.

Since it is vacation time for my middle school I agreed to help out a friend and be part of his summer camp. This sounded like so much fun that I couldnt wait. I was allowed to teach 3 grades, 3 times over 3 days. The first day was Airport so I had my suitcase, passport and travel equipment ready to show the class. The lovely co teachers at my friend Patricks school (and I mean lovely) thought I just carried a very big bag around with me.
What the kids would be like was a mystery to me. My students are about 5 years older in some cases and definitely have a lower level of English. When I stepped into my first class I was greeted with 10 beaming faces. Each student was a pleasure. They had such lovely personalities. Each student was enthusiastic and ready to learn. This theme continued through out the day. The 4th grade class was so cute it broke my heart. They were just adorable. I was in love. 

The next day we had a lot of fun with a senses lesson. This meant I was allowed to feed those lemons and popcorn while making their poor little noses smell perfume and coffee. The over stimulisation may have been too much for them as they were all hyper messes for the other teachers.oophs!
The last day we had an animation class. This is very close to my heart as its been my career path since I was 7. The kids reacted great to it including one student who genuinely wanted to become and animator. I gave them the task of creating a character and then drawing that same character doing different movements we had learnt. I was extremely impressed. Their drawing skills and imagination was shockingly great.
 
Airport class, students filling their passports

Senses class. Creating a face.


The girls decided their face would be me :D




Each day went so quick that it was hard to pause for breath. Every day was summed up by sitting down with the other teachers for a delicious Korean meal.
I can honestly say I didnt want to leave.
Before saying goodbye I had a wall of 4th graders run at me to take pictures. I felt like a celebrity. I have never had that kind of recognition for any job Ive done let alone school teacher so it was a shock to the system but one Id definitely welcome again.
Thank you Janggi elementary school for having me. I miss you already xxxx



No comments:

Post a Comment