Wednesday 6 November 2013

Jess in Seoul



This Saturday was the big day. I had to teach a class early in the morning but then it was a run (literally a very quick taxi and a run) to my KTX.
I was on my way to Seoul international airport to pick up my oldest girile friend, Jess and her lovely housemate, Amy. 




At the airport I was bursting with nerves and excitement. It suddenly occurred to me that I had never been at airport arrivals. I could see peoples feet walking towards the glass and it was an agonizing wait but when I finally did see my friends smiling face while I was waving my overly big sign all the nervous disappeared and I had to keep reminding myself we were in Korea and not our home town.
Jess and I have always had to travel to see each other. She lived in Bournemouth and I was in Manchester or London while our other friend was in Plymouth.
If you dont know the British Isles very well this is basically as far away from each other as you can imagine. I once traveled for 7 hours to see them.but its safe to say that Jess traveling to Korea takes the biscuit.



That night we explored the streets and the hours disappeared while we were in a small Korean restaurant. I kindly introduced them to Makgeolli, soju, mickju (a combination of Makgeolli and soju of course) and some Korean foods. It was a great night but so weird to be celebrating in such an odd place.








The next day we were lucky enough to see King Segungs palace, Gyeongbokgung in autumn. I came in spring and the transformation was incredible. It will always be the image that sums up Korea for me.










The rest of our time was spent wandering pretty Korean streets, seeing beautiful flowers and catching up over coffee, especially this delicious Maple latte in a Insadong coffee shop called K-pot. Mmm













It wasnt a long stop over but I only have to wait a few short days until my friends Daegu visit.
I have lots of shenanigans planned and Im excited to just have a catch up over a glass (or five) of Koreas finest Makegolli.strawberry flavour preferred!
My favourite lady!

No comments:

Post a Comment