Sunday 24 November 2013

School Festival

Today is the school festival.



My school has had its festival very late this year. All the other English teachers I know in Daegu have been showing me pictures and telling me about their students so I was excited to see what my school would get up to today.
The day started off with the orchestra. The orchestra practice right next to my English room so I have heard their progression from not knowing how to hold instruments to the fantastic renditions they shared with everyone today (believe me it’s been a loooot of practice, I’ve been humming their songs in my sleep) This was followed by the cutest elementary school orchestra from a school close by. It was a bizarre experience to see how my little first graders were actually giants compared to these small innocent creatures from elementary school. I saw a few of the elementary students look terrified at my 6 foot 3rd graders and to be honest I was right there with them. Those students could scare the pants off a nun.
Today marks the 9 month mark in my Korean stay so today was a fitting day for reflection. I love days were the school comes together. I can never quite get over the crowd of familiar faces. I know their personalities, preferences and weaknesses (but unfortunately not enough names) I really do love my kids. Being in a poorer area means I have kids that challenge me on a daily basis but I love them unconditionally. Changing schools next year was a serious option as they are very hard work and I’ve ended more than a few days near to tears but to be honest I just love them and their ways. I do sometimes wish for easier days and a job where I’m dancing and singing with cute little kindergarteners but then I laugh at a stupid joke my 3rd graders have made or see my 1st graders sprout 1 foot in a month and I am overjoyed. Being a teenager is a nightmare of a time in your life but its nice to be part of it. Unfortunately I didn’t have my camera to capture the day so I only have some poor phone camera pictures to share. Watching my troublesome 2nd grade boys play up a storm on the Korean Traditional drums, watching the other teachers dance on stage and just giggling with coworkers has already made this a fantastic day. It’s also nice to not be the shouty English teacher for a few hours.

It’s only lunch time now and I’m looking forward to the second half of the day. Coming up is two dance groups who’ve been practicing in my room for a few weeks and two girls I have a real soft spot for who are going to sing. We have been practicing and singing 3 times a week for about 2 months now in anticipation of this day so I’m really hoping they pull it off. Just remembering back to any comprehensive school memory that involves performing in public makes me instantly feel the excitement and fear I felt all those years ago. It’s nice to watch my students making memories and really putting themselves out there. I couldn’t be prouder!
 I’ve signed myself up for next year so I best get practicing now :S


*edit* The rest of the day was just as good if not better! The kids were allowed to sing and dance. There are some amazing dancers in this school (the dancing was slightly too sexy for under 16 year olds but none the less!) I also had the honor of winning a prize, the kids had coupons to give to teachers that they liked and the coupons could by food that parents had made. It was a silly gesture but it made my day. I was over the moon. What a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment