Sunday 21 April 2013

Kpop FANTASTIC BABY!





Its official, I love Kpop. This being said, I still dont know or understand half of it.
The beats are catchy and the dance moves addicted.
I was dead against liking Kpop before I got here but mainly out of ignorance and because I didnt really know what it was at all. For a while my small naive brain thought Kpop was a single band. Oh how wrong I was!
Before leaving the UK Kpop was making itself at home on our shores. Everyone had found a style and it was from Gangnam. Psys fantastic video and creative if not silly dance moves had every one, young and old on the dance floor.

No one could avoid, at the very least, a foot tapping.

My sister gave me the gift of teaching me Gangnam style before I left home and it has put me in a good stead out here, although I am slightly disappointed, I envisioned hundreds of people creating a Psy flash mob when ever it was played. Obviously this was too much to hope for as no one here seems to care about it. Apparently its old news. Especially with his new song Gentleman being played on every street corner and in every room.

Considering my only reference was out of date I was determined to at least understand a little bit more.
My friends and I hit Daegus streets on the first night here and stumbled into a club called Thursday Party. There we danced into the wee hours with Korean people and discovered a new world of cheesy tunes.
The decision was made; I was going to become a savvy Kpoper. I tracked down a dance class (that just so happens to be above the bar we hang out at most) and tried my hand at Kpop dance class. Luckily for me, a beginners class.

Im not a dancer, at least not a proper one. Im use to dancing like no ones watching not following routines. Especially ones as fancy and sophisticated as this. At one point while I was lying on the floor trying to reach my leg to my head I did feet slightly stupid but after a few seconds of crazy pop music I was enjoying every second.

Last Wednesday will have been my 6th class and its safe to say Im hooked. Each week I bring along more people and the poor teachers dismays at the mental Waygooks who have no idea what her instructions are or how to do them.
She might not be thankful Im there but my abs are. They havent been used in months and are happy with the exercise. This funny one time event has now made its way under my skin and I think it will actually be something I really get addicted to while in Korea.
The classes are 3 times a week which is a little too much for me (Koreans do everything to the extreme, they are the most dedicated people Ive ever met) but maybe twice a week will suffice for now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment