Wednesday 24 April 2013

North Korea



North Korea.

You are probably sick of hearing about this mysterious country.
People at home in Britain and parents in America can not help but read the hype and start to worry.The BBC and American news channels seem to have gone over board on their reporting. They make it sound as if we are all hunkered down with enough supplies for 25 years.

I recently watched a documentary about North Korea and it does intrigue me. I would love the chance to experience a culture that is not only different in morals but completely separated from the world. They are so separated that they apparently have unicorns. That's a pretty big separation. Unfortunately there are no mermaids.

It does worry me from time to time. I read the news stories and I can't help but think there must be some logic behind it otherwise why would they spend the time to publish it but then I walk around Korea for a day and realize that its all just make believe - not that different to those N.Korean Unicorns.

Here in South Korea its just another day. Things here are business as usual. If it wasn't for the worrying emails from home (which I really do appreciate) I wouldn't even be aware of the problems.

I am lucky that I have a lot of level headed people around me that understand the crazy politics of this country. They told me a  reassuring fact. Basically they don't have the technology to make a nuclear attack (or any other) happen. Having a nuke and being able to fire a nuke are two extremely different things.

To put this into perspective. North Korea launched a space program in the 90's. In 2012 they sent a rocket to space. It burnt up before it got past our atmosphere.
I know a rocket isn't a missile but it makes me feel better.

Some Korean people have been explaining it to me and basically (and in my criminally simple terms) its a yearly event. The North Koreans don't import goods and its a running joke here at the school I work in that Kim Jong must just be out of food.

My co teachers explanation was:

'He gets hungry, bangs his plate and we give him some food to be quiet'



This sums up the feeling here.
Its just another day!

No comments:

Post a Comment