Tuesday 23 July 2013

Mudfest

Mudfest is something I heard about a long time before I moved to Korea. When you research the blogs you see it popping up all the time. It wasn't something I thought i'd go to but it looked fun.


Then when I arrived here I went on some organised trips that were so awful and badly planned that I was sure i'd never go on one again.
A month ago a big group of friends started to talk about mudfest and it dawned on me that all of them were going. Now I shouldn't give into peer pressure but a combination of knowing lots of people there and also seeing it in my lonely planet guide made it something I decided might be fun.

I have to be honest that I wasn't really excited about it but once we were sat on the bus with a beautiful day ahead of us I started to think this could actually be fun.

When we arrived we were shipped into a pension (a hotel without beds where you sleep on the floor...very cheap and suprisingly comfy).
We got our glad rags (i.e bikinis) on which was a daughting enough task, the first bikini showing of the year then we hit the beach.
Mud Angels

Dirty work
There was people and mud everywhere. After a polite start with minimam mud we were ushered into the mudfest arena where we went from muddy to more mud than people.
I had smartly brought along a waterproof pouch for my phone (which I definitley) recommend.
LeeLee came along for the ride.

After a good old fashioned wrestle which involved screaming 'CLEAN' anytime a slightly clean person walked past us and everyone jumping on them we ran into the sea, soju in hand , to clean off.

The sun was setting and the crazy amount of press with cameras were dissapearing so we headed to the pension for a well deserved shower.
The pension was packed with people we knew so we headed out for some burgers provided by a company called 'High Street Market' it wasn't great food but cheap enough and worth it for the convienience.

The soju supplies were topped up and we danced into the wee hours. We were lucky enough to head to the beach in time to see the greatest fireworks I have ever seen. A boat about 2 miles out at sea fired 'wizz bangs' that filled my whole field of vision. It was incredible.
start a dance party on a stage? Why not.
Best fireworks i've ever seen

After that it was a night of beach dance parties which my friend started with some Koreans as well as catching up with old friends.
It was a great weekend and I really would recommend it to anyone in Korea. Its something you might not get a chance to experience somewhere else and I'm happy I went.

No comments:

Post a Comment