Tuesday 28 May 2013

Holiday Plans






One of the exciting things about living in Daegu, Korea is the proximity to so many other exciting countries. At the moment weekends are spent exploring the country I now call home (as well as recovering from cocktails - in- a bag) but summer is fast approaching and with it comes the chance to travel.
This summer I am getting 8 work days off.
Deciding where to spend them has been a hard decision as my to do travel list is getting longer every day.
After looking at the seasonal weather for a lot of Asian places the choice was narrowed down to Malaysia or Thailand. Indonesia was considered for a while but I want to explore that country so much that I need more than 8 days to do it.
I started trying to research Malaysia but was thwarted. Flights were selling out fast with all the other EPIK teachers having the exact same idea. (note to reader: book your summer holidays WELL in advance!)
BUT I wasnt too disappointed as the list still had other places for me to try.
Thailand was my next attempt.
Thailand is somewhere I have wanted to visit for a long time. People I know have been there and say nothing but lovely things. I was thinking of doing Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam this winter but Koi Samui was calling to me.

The factor that made my decision for me was an Elephant camping experience. It is a one night visit that includes a Jungle river trip, camping over night in a jungle (with gibbons on hand to wake you) and an up close and personal meeting with some of my favourite animals. I also read they are extremely well looked after which was a big concern for me. I didnt want to fund an organization mistreating Elephants.

So now the holiday is all booked.
The plan is:
Daegu to Seoul (one night in lovely Seoul)
Seoul to Bangkok (Two nights in Bangkok and yes I am going to watch The Hangover 2 many times before I travel)
Bangkok to Surat Thani (a stunning tropical area)
Surat Thani to Koi Samui (which is just a stunning Thai island, literally like a dream)
Elephants and home.

I know its silly to be so excited but it feels weird to be doing the things Ive dreamed about for a long time.
I was ill in hospital for many years and I wrote a list of places I dreamed of going when I was better. Thailand was firmly on that list along with spend time with Elephants so I am over the moon to be planning this.
Who knows, it may not go to plan but at the very least I will have some exciting stories and a lot of fun.
Now I just have to find a place in Korea that sells Bikinis (an impossible task !!)

1 comment:

  1. I'm so excited for your trip! You'll have to tell me about your experience with elephants, as this is also a dream of mine. I also don't want to support a place where they abuse the animals :-/

    ReplyDelete