Thursday 30 May 2013

Budda’s Birthday, Geoje and Ring of Fire.





This weekend was an exciting one. It was Budda’s birthday here in Korea. All the schools here had the Friday off to celebrate.
The build up to Budda’s birthday here has been lovely. Lanterns have adorned the streets and lights have been hung in every space.
We all knew here that we wanted to go somewhere so we looked into a few places. A group of people I have recently met invited a few of the newer teachers along.
We set off on Friday morning after a little bit of a heavy night. (bad idea!)
The bus ride was great fun. Lots of chatting and introducing, even though it was a very small bus.
The bus took a lot longer than we expected but I think that traffic is an inevitable factor on days off here or even just weekends.



















The place we stayed in Geoje was beautiful. It was a pension. You would be forgiven for not knowing what pension is. I had no idea. It is the Korean word for a house you stay in. I’m not sure obviously but I imagine it comes from British people travelling in Korea when they are older, setting up hotels and saying it will be their ‘pension’.
The apartment was lovely. It was spacious and none of us minded the sleeping arrangements. Floors are a lot more comfy in Korea, I’m just sure of it.

The next few days were filled with exploring, BBQ and drunk Jenga (a fantastic drinking game). Weirdly we also bumped into some friends camping on the beach. A great coincidence that led to some fun French rounders (can’t hit your legs or move your feet).

I met lots of lovely people and I love days off. Not that I don’t love school but exploring is fantastic.  

No comments:

Post a Comment